The Darkest Evening
- Titel: The Darkest Evening / Ann Cleeves
- Reihe: Vera Stanhope
- Person(en): Cleeves, Ann
- Sprache: Englisch
- Originalsprache: Englisch
- Umfang: 1 online resource
- Erschienen: London : Macmillan, 2020
- ISBN/Preis: 9781509889532 (electronic bk)
- Schlagwörter: Fiction ; Literature ; Mystery ; Electronic books
- Anmerkungen: Title from eBook information screen. Requires OverDrive Read (file size: N/A KB) or Adobe Digital Editions (file size: 1655 KB) or Kobo app or compatible Kobo device (file size: N/A KB) or Amazon Kindle (file size: N/A KB).
Inhalt: DCI Vera Stanhope returns in The Darkest Evening , the ninth novel in Sunday Times bestseller Ann Cleeves' enduringly popular series . Driving home during a swirling blizzard, Vera Stanhope's only thought is to get there quickly. But the snow is so heavy, she becomes disoriented and loses her way. Ploughing on, she sees a car slewed off the road ahead of her. With the driver's door open, Vera assumes the driver has sought shelter but when she inspects the car she is shocked to find a young toddler strapped in the back seat. Afraid they will freeze, Vera takes the child and drives on, arriving at Brockburn, a run-down stately home she immediately recognizes as the house her father Hector grew up in. Inside Brockburn a party is in full swing, with music and laughter to herald the coming Christmas. But outside in the snow, a young woman lies dead and Vera knows immediately she has a new case. Could this woman be the child's mother, and if so, what happened to her? A classic country house mystery with a contemporary twist, Ann Cleeves returns with a brilliant Vera novel to savour.